What is responsive web design or “RWD”?
Responsive web design means having one website that adapts to all the different screens and devices. From Large 1920px wide monitors to cell phones of about 340px wide displays.
On large monitors and on laptop screens website is presented in multiple columns while on mobile phone and tablets that same content will be presented in a single column (sections will be stacked on top of each other).
Responsive web design or “RWD” is a term originally coined in a 2010 “A List Apart” article by Ethan Marcotte, and since then, it became a standard method for designing and developing a responsive website that adapts to mobile phones.
A few facts about Responsive Web Design
According to research, about, 58% of American adults own a smartphone and 63% of them use it to access websites. Facebook also said that 78% of its 128 million active daily US users accessed the website on mobile phone.
- In 2012, more than half of local searches were performed on a mobile device.
- 61% of people have a better opinion of brands that offer a good mobile responsive experience of their website.
- According to Google, if a user visits your website, and it is not designed to be responsive, there is a 61% chance that they will leave your website and go visit a different one (most likely a competitor’s website).
- It’s also said that if they have a positive experience with your responsive website, they are 67% more likely to buy a product or use a service.
- If you are running ads on Facebook for example for your e-commerce business or any website in general, since most people access social media on their cell phones, once they click that CTA and open your website on their mobile, if it’s not responsive they will leave it in a matter of a few seconds.
If your website is still not responsive, now is the time to redesign it with responsiveness in mind
A facts section above this one shows you some of the benefits of having a responsive website. Apart from those facts there are more reasons why you should have a responsive website.
- Google favors websites that are designed with responsiveness in mind.
You serve one website for both desktop and mobile visitors, so it is easier for Google to crawl your pages and appear higher in Google searches since Google rewards websites that are built responsively for multi-device support.. It also solves issues related to duplicate content.
- Related to previous paragraph, a mobile responsive website is easier, and definitely better for SEO (Search Engine Optimization), which is a process of optimizing your website so it will rank higher in Google searches for targeted keywords.
- It will help you reduce your website’s bounce rate, since your visitors will not be put of by bad user experience on their cell phone.
- Responsive web design increases site usability, which makes your users happier, and happy user will return to your website more often.
- It is easier for you to manage one responsive website than multiple websites. This is why a responsive website is much preferred over separate websites for desktop screens and mobile phones.
- Responsive design allows you to keep track of who visits your website via Google Analytics.
- Responsive website is better suited for load time optimization, which is important because the standard is that a website should load in 1 – 2 seconds according to Google PageSpeed Developers standards. And load time optimization is also a key factor in whether your website visitor (that might be a potential lead), will stay on your website or just leave it asap.
Let’s improve your web presence
Responsive web design has been a standard in web design and development industry, and here at WebRedone we design and code websites following the latest industry standards and best practices. Every single website that we designed and developed is responsive and load time optimized.
Whether you need a new website designed or you have an old website that is still not responsive and could benefit from redesign and load time optimization, feel free to reach out via our contact form and we will be more than happy to help improve your web presence.